Sunday 11 January 2015

Whoosh - that was Christmas!

Hello all, and while I can still get away with it: a very Happy New Year!

The holiday season has flown by - it felt longer and busier than usual somehow.
We started early with an Advent trip to Luxemburg and the ever magical German Christmas markets, all twinkling lights, sparkling decorations and smell of mulled wine in the air.




And of course Germany, much like Sweden, does a nice line in tea rooms, or konditoreien. We couldn't resist stocking up with little biscuits from this stunning display.



And after a hard day's....uhm....biscuit shopping, we squeezed in a little fika before heading back home.



Gift-knitting was unusually hectic this year, mostly caused by a change in Mark's circumstances, meaning that after 10 years of working evenings and weekends in retail, I suddenly had him at home whenever I was. Which was lovely but made it IMPOSSIBLE to work on his christmas sweater in secret! But after a few early morning's colour work, I got it done just in time, casting off Christmas Eve morning.

Pattern: Grettir by Jared Flood
Yarn: Ullcentrum 3ply Solid Colours




I think it's perfect for him. I took a bit of a risk with a yoke pattern as he's complained about them being too busy and colourful before, but I knew it would suit him so well :) The 3ply knits up as a DK weight, giving a decent substance and warmth to the garment, yet the fabric is surprisingly light.
The Grettir pattern is very well written too, detailing every step and with nice, easy to read charts. It also has some clever short row shaping to give the sweater a distinct front and back and therefore a better fit.

Then came an ever increasing number of raggsocks. Every time I finished a pair, I seemed to think of someone else who could benefit from them!

Yarn: Raggsock Yarn
Pattern: Midwinter yarns own - free with yarn



I also made my father-in-law-to-be a pair of snug-fitting mitts - he struggles with arthritis and I had some natural, undyed wool left from Mark's sweater that I thought might help keep the drafts away.

Yarn: Ullcentrum 3ply
Pattern: Morristown Mitts - free on Ravelry



So I guess in the end I did get more knitting done than I thought over the holidays. It all went by in such a blur with pre-Christmas, our knitters Knitmas party, real Christmas, my birthday, New Years AND Christmas nr 2 that I felt like I spent it all either in the kitchen or on the M4 and didn't watch a single Julie Andrews film in the end, but it did give me time to think and get inspired for the knitting year ahead - and this one promises to be busy!


No comments:

Post a Comment